The new Red Hat Network

It’s live! Red Hat Network has just undergone a massive facelift. I contributed a spiffy new graphics and revised the user interface. Countless others on the team also contributed to making this thing happen (Bret, Chip, Robin, Greg, Joe Gafton, etc.)

If you don’t have an account already, sign up and you can update your Red Hat Linux based system(s) with style and ease.It scales from one system up to many systems. You can start off with a demo account to see what’s what and then upgrade to get more complete access (and see even more of the cool graphics and features!)

Anyway, I should be sleeping now. (:

Tags: ,

6 Responses to “The new Red Hat Network”

1. slckr says:

very on-topic

Why is the Red Hat 8.0 GUI a blue curve when a red curve would be more fitting?

one reason

The obvious reason is that it’s blue and curvy (by default anyway).

Why is it blue by default? Red is a much harsher color to use compared to blue, from a UI standpoint. Red is great for grabbing attention when used in selective areas. If everything was red, then you wouldn’t be able to easily find the up2date applet icon when there are important updates or be able to distinguish the Red Hat logo when it shows up on a splash screen or anywhere else.

I originally chose "Wonderland" for the theme’s name when it was in development. We finally ended up with "Bluecurve" for various reasons of which I will not go into (except for the one mentioned above). (:

The developmental and non-Red Hat version of the theme is still called "Wonderland", whereas the Red Hat branded version is "Bluecurve".

3. Kreg Steppe says:

Nice

I have to tell you that the RHN looks great. The Facelift was looong over due. Good work!

4. Kreg Steppe says:

BTW what software do you use?

…to create your graphics…

software

I use a combination of the Gimp and Illustrator. Lately, I have been designing graphics in Illustrator (on a Mac) and then exporting tp PNGs where I put the finishing touches on the graphic (cropping, spacing, etc) in the Gimp (on a Linux box).

Designing the icons and other graphical elements for many things in Illustrator makes it easier to be consistant, allows for better reuse (if something is needed in another size, such as icons for Red Hat Network vs. the Red Hat Linux desktop, then it’s a matter of resizing and optimizing the pixels instead of a re-implementation), and (if done properly) provides the ability for crisper and cleaner graphics with more vibrant colors (of course, one can make the graphics smudged and murky in Illustrator if it is desired).

There’s nothing for Linux that even comes "sort of close" to Illustrator, unfortunately. If there was, I’d use it.

Having the "right tool for the job" is important.

(Yes, I know about Sketch and Sodipodi, and while it is debatable which of the two is the best open source vector editor, neither come close. I do check each from time to time, and I’m glad that they are making strides.)

thanks!

Thanks! We had a fun time porting the old site to the new interface. Lots of productive meetings, discussions, and design work involved. (: