Mel Gibson’s new film

A friend at work mentioned something to me (and the rest of us at the lunch table) about a new film Mel Gibson is currently directing overseas. It’s supposed to be a historical re-enactment of an important figure who had a large impact on the timeline as we know it. Mel Gibson is striving for accuracy in every detail too, including a precision in spoken language.

Normally, making a historic movie is not huge news, but because of his choice of subject, Gibson is being plauged by many different people, including reporters who are trying to pry into every facet of his life and are even going to the length of harassing his 85-year-old father.

Why all this commotion over making a film? Well, if it was pretty much anyone else in history there wouldn’t be much of a contriversy at all, but since Mel Gibson decided to try to accurately portray the life of Jesus, more than a few feathers in the press and around Hollywood have evidently been ruffled.

You can read a recent editorial which describes the matters in detail and also choose to look at Mel Gibson’s interview on the O’Reilley Factor.

Crazy times we are living in. I personally think the movie will probably end up quite interesting.

Tags: ,

19 Responses to “Mel Gibson’s new film”

1. Ian Phillips says:

Hysterical Accuracy

Should stir up quite a fuss if he shows the same lack of regard for historical accuracy as he did in his earlier costume dramas. I’m quite looking forward to it . . .

accuracy

I think he’s trying to make the most accurate version of the film possible. He’s even going as far as to use the native languages spoken in that day.

At least, that’s what I gleamed from the sites I linked in the new item. We’ll see what happens when the movie comes out.

3. sue says:

history

How accurate are the history books in all of our schools and libraries? Do we mock the people who wrote them? Do we call them hysterical idiots? Of course not!They are more accurate than the bible to the foolish who would rather mock the reality of Jesus Christ and the truth about His life and death. Read the book, than laugh again at the man who is brave enough to come forward and show the world what this one man did to give us all the free gift of salvation. He died on a lowly cross for your sins and mine. On the day that he returns you will not be laughing.

4. Esko V.Kotkas says:

The stupid reaction of Jews to mels film

I am just amazed about the reaction by the ADL aboutMel Gibsons movie "Passion".I have not been against Jews,but when I read about their screeming and theirattept to change history"the Jewsdid indirectly put Jesus to death. How right Harry Trumans remarks were " The Jews ,I find are very,very selfish .They carenot how many Estonians,Latvians,Finns,( I am from Finland)Poles.Yugosslavs or Greeks get murdered or mistreated,as long as the Jewsget special treatment.I never thought for a moment to blame the Jews for thekilling of JESUS.I guess the Jews have much to learn.?

5. Linda Magee says:

historical content of "Passion"

Maybe if Mel Gibson’s new movie "ruffles a few feathers in Hollywood", then maybe it will also "open some eyes"! It’s about time someone has the courage to make such a so-called controversal film in dealing with the events prior to Jesus’s crucifixtion. I am very pleased that Mel Gibson is making this movie, and I respect him very much. I’m so glad he is not one of the typical "hollywood idiots" we hear so much about! I will continue to support everything he does!!!

6. Pauline Swanson says:

Mel Gibson new film

I await with eager anticipation the release of Mr. Gibson’s film of the portrayal of the death of Jesus Christ. It is, literally, YEARS between times when I actually see a movie; but this one is definitely on my list! I admire not only Mr. Gibson’s filmmaking abilities; I share his "traditional"/orthodox Roman Catholic sensibilities and wish him the greatest success!

7. Amanda says:

Such a great testimony

I feel that Mel is doing the right thing and I pray that his movie will be a top pick to see. I know that God is proud of Him and just want to let him know that there are many Christians praying for him and very proud of his movie!

8. Glenn Jordan says:

A Sacrificial Act of Love and Redemption.

From a physical perspective, I agree totally with the holy scriptures, therefore the Jews were responsible for the crucifixion of Christ. Scripturally,the Jews accused christ of being a false messiah,delivered him over to the romans and shouted crucify him. Under tremendous pressure,the romans only honered the wishes of the Jewish accussers of Christ. How can we be blinded to plain biblical facts. However, from a spiritual perspective, we all should be blamed for the crucifixion of Christ. To prove his love for us and to save us, Christ willingly died on the cross. We sinners nailed him to the cross. Spiritually, the death of Christ was a sacrificial act and we are all repsonsible for his death.So the Jews are not the only guilty party.

9. Pauline says:

The Cross

Of the so called "crucifiction" needs to have more research done. The form of the cross as we know it today was not the way Jesus was put to death. He was put to death on a vertical stake and not a cross. Unfortunately Mr. Gibson has not done thorough unbiased research from the original text where "cross" was not ever mentioned. The word "tree" or "stake" were the original words which the Catholic church and others chose not to use, and thereby have mislead all peoples from the truth of God’s word. Another problem I see is that Mr Gibson as many others mistakenly talk about God and Jesus as one in the same person. The problem is that upon unbiased study and research, one never finds that Jesus ever claimed to be the one and only God. How sad to see so many people being mislead and not having them come to an accurate knowledge of Bible Truths that give everlasting life.

10. Lisa says:

The Cross

All I can say Pauline is that you should read the Bible again!!! It certainly does refer to God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit as ONE. As for the Cross, maybe you should be STAKED and let us know if there is a difference…

11. Robert says:

I agree 100%

All though we as christians are not here to brag or boast, but it does get discouraging when you know the truth and all "some" people want to do is slam at every chance of mocking at what they don’t understand and are not willing to give themselves a chance to receive something so beautiful and awsome as eternal life. If they could only put aside there pride for just one moment to let Jesus do a beautiful work in there heart then they too will finally understand what we as christians want an unbeleiving world to beleive. Who wouldn’t want eternal life? That is why jesus Died on the cross, "SO WE COULD HAVE EVERLASTING LIFE"

12. Robert says:

I agree 100%

13. mayra says:

i agree

i agree with rob but we also should bear in mind as christians we should know that satan uses unbelievers for his mocking of the truth so please dont forget who our teacher is, who said love the sinner but hate the sin . Though it may be hard but u must keep that in mind. Although, it may not excuse what people say but still…

14. mayra says:

lisa, i think we should all read the bible again on how to treat people correctly. how can we call ourselves christians and yet insult people in such a way . this is one of those reasons why unbelievers dont believe !

15. mary says:

Mel Gibson

Hollywood and the networks will allways go against a person that follows his/her moral values ,I will boycott any program,company or institution that goes against mine: I am a traditional Catholic that can not wait to see Mr. Gibson film,it was not made for Israel or the Jews that are fundamentalists…I am married for 30 years with a jewish husband,it is his choice to go or not.

16. WILL says:

TO THE NAYSAYERS

I APPLAUD MR. GIBSON FOR HAVING THE COURAGE TO PRODUCE SUCH A FILM. I AM SURE HE DOESN’T CARE ABOUT THE FEW PEOPLE IN HOLLYWOOD WHO WILL TALK/LAUGH BEHIND HIS BACK. I AM ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE HE KNEW HE WAS GOING TO HAVE TO BEAR HIS OWN CROSS, YET HE DIDN’T CARE. OF ALL THE STORYLINES HE COULD HAVE PRODUCED, HE CHOSE THE LIFE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT ICON TO WALK THIS EARTH. ARE WE REALLY SURPRISED? DEEP IN THE HEARTS OF MANY PEOPLE THEY KNOW THE TRUTH,YET WON’T ACCEPT AND LIVE THE TRUTH. IT MAY NOT BE THE POPULAR CHOICE BUT FOR MR. GIBSON AND MANY OF US, IT IS A REAWAKENING TO GETTING A MORAL SOCIETY BACK THAT WE NOW LACK, THAT WAS STARTED IN HOLLYWOOD.

17. Vic says:

The reactions in some ways mirror the reactions to Hitlers Propaganda

I find some of the comments to the movie by groups and individuals quite disturbing. In reading some of the comments, I can’t help but to see a resemblance between the audience of The evil one in Germany during the 30’s and 40’s and the pure hate that is being generated here from this production. It may-be a fact, that even though the Romans were altimately in control of Israel at the time of Christ, a few Jews not believing in his teachings may have contributed to his sacrifice, just as there were Jews as his followers, that tried to help him and spread his teachings. A whole group of people have been hated for over 2,000 years, suffering at the hands of many peoples in many nations, because of the propaganda and power a few had. The greatest evils have been laid on the Jews and all they are trying to do is exist. They are not wanted and they are the excuse for all the worlds problems. They try to survive in a land, "that the good book states belongs to them" and still the world tries to rid them from there. Just as in Germany there were good people "Christians" that tried to do the right thing and stop the murder of innocent peoples. WW II is over, Hitler is gone and along with him, his ability to captivate the masses in evil. In the Old Testament, the transgressions of a person or people can’t be passed on to their children. I do not believe Jesus would approve of what has been done in the last 2,000 years to the Jews, it is this very hate that has caused them to be unaccepting of Jesus.

18. Scott says:

Will, I am with you…

Mel Gibson has backbone that most in Hollywood do not possess. His courage is to be shouted from the roof tops. Of course the media (our media in the U.S.) is biased and does not want these truths to be spread. It cuts into their selfish agenda. A double standard has arisen in our country. We, as people who live and pracice morality, are asked by the liberal media, secular colleges, and Hollywood to have tolerance for their lifestyles. But in return they have no tolerance for our lifstyles. It is truly amazing how they can expect such obedience from the morally intact masses but yet cannot adhere to their own set of values they scream at us to live by.Thanks Will for your truthfulness. I will pray for you and God bless you wonderfully!

19. pashmack robinson says:

A reaction to this idiot esko kotkas in defense of jews

Throughout the course of history jews have been persecuted and mass slaughtered. Just a little over 60 years ago 6 million jews were killed by anti semites, who believed jews as second class beings and today there are millions, who believe in the same ideologies . What you don’t understand is over 30 percent of the 18 million jewish population was slaughtered by racist bastards and then you ask why we are against such a movie and people like you!!! Who the hell are you to say "I have not been against Jews,but when I read about their screeming and their attept to change history" What leads you to even start negative against jews. It is a positive that today the jewish world has come so far in defense against racists like you!!!