Interesting lunch

Today, a few of us from the office went out to lunch at a Mongolian BBQ restaurant. We tossed various ingredients into our bowls and waited for the cook. Before he took our food and placed it on the doughnut-shaped stovetop, my friends from work told me about the big gong. "Since this is your first time here, you have to bang the gong!" they exclaimed. I shrugged, walked over to large, circular musical instrument, picked up the gong stick, and hit the gong a bit off-center. It made a really loud sound.

When the guy behind the counter finished roasting our chosen edibles on the large, flat ring of a metal stove, we walked over to the table selected for us by the hostess.

All four of us began eating as the waitress kept bringing glass after glass after glass filled with either water, tea, or ice cubes. It was rather amusing. Four people and something like twelve glasses full of stuff on the table.

We continued eating and couldn’t help but overhear a large crowd at the table directly behind us talk about topics which included: Linux, Debian, Red Hat, and digital music (mp3s and oggs). All four of us at the table silently grinned at each other as we ate our meals. I was quite a peculiar experience especially around the moment I heard the group talking about "Bluecurve", the family of themes I designed for Red Hat.

We just wanted a nice, calm lunch, so we decided to talk mostly about things other than computers and work.

It was definitely a worthwhile meal full of nice conversations, good food, a loud gong, and some unexpected eavesdropping.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

9 Responses to “Interesting lunch”

1. Trae says:

Head too big?

I hope your head didn’t get too big to fit through the door after hearing about how great you are from strangers. πŸ™‚ Oh, did I say head? I meant Ego. Course, I’m only jealous cause you are cooler than me. But just you wait, one day, I’ll be a big Rock Star, and You’ll have to slave for hours on my bands website making me look cool and then you’ll secretly wish I wasn’t so cool, and that maybe if you hadn’t been so cool and designed such a cool website for the band that we wouldn’t be so cool and that … *sleep*

2. Claudio says:

Bluecurve

And what did they say about your themes (which I consider absolutely the best around -better than Mac’s, better than Win’s…)?

nah

Nah, it was just a surreal moment. I thought it was kind of funny.

Not sure…

Thanks!

I’m not sure what they said really. I only heard a few parts of the conversation from a few people in the group.

5. Sweet

Garrett,I’ve followed your site for about two years now (yup, it was a religious daily exercise when you updated your screenshots). I love the new design, I really love it. I just wanted to comment on that. Out of curiosity, do you pull your news from that XML file – or are they in a database which is shoved into the XML file; or what? I would /love/ to see the backend for your site.Toodles.

6. Garrett says:

XML, News, etc.

Thanks for your compliments.

My news items are in a MySQL database. I wanted to have an RSS feed a few months back, so I wrote a little bit of code to pull the entries and display the results in the standard XML syndication format.

I guess I should really update my screenshots a bit more often, shouldn’t I? (:

7. dredoz says:

Screenshots

Yeah! give us your cool desktop! πŸ™‚

8. John Hwang says:

Yeah! Desktops!

Yes!!! Desktops!!! Screenshots!!! Please!!!

9. Maninder Bali says:

BlueCurve Screenshots

Hey Garrett, how are you doing? Really nice to read this particular news item πŸ™‚ Was working with you on Linux.com before Lord Rob took over… Hey, is there any place I can find screenshots of just Bluecurve??? I’d really like to see a lot of them πŸ™‚ – Thanks… and keep up the good work πŸ™‚