Leaving Red Hat

After a lot of careful consideration, I decided to leave Red Hat two weeks ago. Today is my last day with the company.

I worked with several very talented, friendly and enthusiastic people at Red Hat. I am glad I was able to make an impact with things like designing and implementing Bluecurve (the themes, icons, and such you see in Red Hat products and also in Fedora), my work to make Fedora happen, the launch of Wide Open Magazine, the redesign of Red Hat Network, and everything else I did while at Red Hat.

It was a great 2+ years.

Tags: , , ,

43 Responses to “Leaving Red Hat”

1. seth vidal says:

good luck

Enjoy whatever you move onto. Hope you’ll still be around to lend some aesthetic guidance to various open source projects. But if not it was great to see and use the results of your labors and hope I will in the future.-sv

2. Kreg Steppe says:

Really?

I think RH has lost a valuable resource, but life wouldn’t be life without change. I wish you luck in whatever you do. BTW what are you doing, or can you share?I assume you aren’t going away totally, right? I mean we can keep up with your exploits here on your website still, correct?BTW where can I submit my resume? (J/K)

3. jorge says:

good luck

I’ve always enjoyed your work.

4. Mando Gomez says:

Best wishes.

Foremost, thank you so much and I wished you the best in life. If I may, why are you leaving RH?

5. All the best mate

Garrett, your work was invaluable. All the labours of your work are on every Fedora/RH desktop that goes out, the artwork simply rocked. Hope you always stay a Fedora person, and all the best with your future.

6. Sahil says:

Good luck

Loved Bluecurve and the OO icons, thanks very much.

7. All the well-wishes to ya

Thank you for everything that you have done. Your work is some of the best in the biz and I’ve been a closet fan for a good long time. I wish you the best in wherever you’re hopping to next! Curious, like Kreg above… you’re not disappearing… we can still "stalk" you here, right?

8. Thanks for your comments

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I’m glad you all have enjoyed my artwork; I also enjoy sharing it with you.

Don’t worry though… I’ll still be around on the ‘Net, and I’ll still have this website too. I’m sure the future holds a lot, and I’ll update this site from time to time with little blurbs about my adventures. (:

9. David Yates says:

Best of Luck!

Thank you for all you hard work. You have made my everday desktop experience better and more enjoyable than you know. Good luck!!!

10. Kreg Steppe says:

Don’t say it…

You better not be going to work for Microsoft. I am not going to visit windowsart.com like I do here… 😉

11. Anand says:

Good Luck

Redhat aint Blucurveish without you!! Thanks for your wonderful work with Redhat and Fedora, you made both famous in Chennai (Southern India). All the very best for your future.P.S. I agree with Kreg, I am not visiting a windowart.com.

12. Anonymous says:

Good decision! Move on….to another adventure.

13. Edon Kelmendi says:

I really liked your artwork.I wish you luck in your life.

14. On behalf of everyone at FedoraForum.org I’d like to thank you for all your hard work, and wish you good luck for the future!

15. pete says:

aaah – so sad to see you go . u are one of my favorite artits and u gave the redhatdesktop a unique and wonderful appearance (one of a kind i may add ). hope to see some of your artwork in the future somewhere and best wishes for whatever u plan to do . good luck …^-^

16. Sadness

This makes me sad. I’m not sure why, though; I don’t use RedHat nor Fedora, I use Gentoo. Maybe it’s because "leaving RedHat" sorta seems like "leaving Linux." Not that I have any idea where you’re going to go now, nor do I think you’ll stop actually using Linux. Perhaps the idea of "leaving" anything seems melancholy by default to me. But I digress.

Your photos have been my wallpaper almost constantly since I discovered your site a year or two ago, so in addition to all your Linux artwork, thanks for the great photos. Like most people here I suspect, I’ll be back often to see what you’re up to 🙂

17. Brendan says:

Thanks, dude

Thanks so much for your awesome artwork. I came across this site for the first time this year and really enjoy what you do. I’ve even brought some people over from the dark side (Windoze) to use your images as their desktop wallpaper (I hope that doesn’t qualify as blasphemy).Anyway, good luck with your future endeavors! And thanks so much for all the hard work.

18. Brendan says:

Thanks, dude

19. ram says:

Best wishes

You’r great artist, and I know you will make a lot’s of great artwork in the future.. Best wishes dude…

20. Kyle Maxwell says:

I’ve really enjoyed your work, whether it’s at Red Hat (or previous gigs) or at this site. I hope your decisions work out best for both you and the company, and I’m looking forward to seeing where things go next and whether your aesthetic touch will show up in other software or sites I see.

21. Goood Luck!

I’d like to thank you for your great work, photos, and all.Good luck for the future!

22. Anonymous says:

1)But, …but why? Why Garrett? 2)Thanks for everything you gave us. You did a great job 🙂

23. Fabrizio says:

Good Luck

Thanks so much for your art, and good luck for the futureFabrizio from Italy

24. Fingel says:

Thanks

Thanks for all your great work on bluecurve, best wishes with whatever you choose to pursue.

25. Taylan says:

Fedora user

Well i’ve been using fedora for a few months,but the look of it is really great.And i just wanted to thank to one of the creators.Your efforts are realy worth it.Thanks again.

26. Andre Meyer says:

Thanks!

Dear GarrettYour artwork makes Fedora a pleasure to work with. It is this crisp, playful and friendly look applied consistently throughout Fedora that invites me each time again to work with this great distro (apart from being a great piece of technology, of course).It is a pity that you have left RedHat for whatever reasons you may have. Hopefully, you will continue contributing to Fedora/Linux in the future.Best wishes and successAndre

27. Thankyou and Goodbye

You’ve really put the quality in Redhats’ products Garret,It was because of Bluecurve I chose to use linux back when Redhat 8 was launched. It was your work that made linux intuative enough to consider a force to be noticed.Also, I greatly admire your webdesign skills and insane compatability your sites bring.I hope to keep seeing your work distributed to the community.Take care and all the best with your future.

28. Andre Meyer says:

not a pity

Actually, I don’t find it a pity that RedHat/Fedora loose such a great artist – I am shocked! How shall Fedora continue without your artistic commitment and capability? This is very bad news.

29. Justin Miller says:

Sad indeed

It is very sad for the Fedora/RH community to lose you, you’ve done an excellent job on the Bluecurve suite. I wish you well in whatever you do, and say thanks for all your hard word.

30. Thank You! 🙂

A tremendous job done very well, and your beatiful work is greatly appreciated. My hopes are that we’ll soon see your talent surface in other OSS projects. Good luck in your endeavors, Garrett, and thank you again. Have a GREAT day, and journey safe!

31. MSa says:

Good luck

Good luck with whatever you do next. RHL and Fedora have become very, very polished with your work, and my biggest fear now is that RH won’t have any good icon designers left!

32. Roshambo says:

Your artwork is the only reason I use Fedora.What are you going to do next?

33. aswhad says:

Good Luck

we’ll see you somewhere else i guess 😉

34. Griff says:

Good luck, but not good-bye

I wish you the best of luck in your new adventures. Your skill (as evidenced in BlueCurve) is a tremendous resource to Linux and OSS. I hope that your separation from RH was amicable, and heralds your entry into a greater role in the Linux / OSS world. I am graphically and artistically challenged; your work has mitigated that issue for my desktop.May the sun always shine upon you, and a gentle breeze usher you along.

35. Brad C. says:

A sad day for Linux Red Hat/Fedora Users…

Bluecurve is my favorite theme on Linux (for both Gnome and KDE), it far surpasses the attempts by others to create a unified theme (Keramik/Geramik, Galaxy…) for KDE/Gnome.I am extremely sad to see that you are leaving and only hope that Red Hat can continue to produce and continue to enhance the Bluecurve theme in your absense. Good luck in all your future endeavors!

36. Michel says:

More grease…

Thanks a lot garret for all the great art and photos. I hope that you’ll continue to do art even if not as a RedHat employee. We’ll miss you. More grease on your knees as you walk on to greener pastures. See you around linuxart.com hopefully.

37. Jeff Perrin says:

Good Luck!

I’ve been using photos from your collection as my desktop wallpaper for over a year… You definitely have a knack. Thanks for your contributions.JP

38. Todd Warner says:

take care buddy!

You’ve done a lot for Red Hat. Our products needed that "sprucing up". But what’s truly wonderful is that through the power of FOSS, you helped spruce up products outside of Red Hat as well.

Take care and keep in touch.
    -Todd

39. Thomas Chung says:

Will miss you

Garret,I just got back from two weeks trip to Korea to attend my own wedding ceremony and this is the most shocking news for me from above all. Your contribution to Red Hat and Fedora Community is immeasurable and we’re appreciate what you’ve done for us. As people say ‘Life goes on’ but we are already missing you and your work. Please keep in touch with me.

40. Ramanan V says:

Wish you luck

Wish you luck in your endeavours. I can say with all honesty that your work is what truly got me interested in photography and computer art. Hope your work continues to inspire us folks (:

41. Ken Crandall says:

Same here!

Same here. I know we never met, but Bluecurve is one of the biggest and best things that has happened at Red Hat.

Lots of luck, and I hope you still work on Fedora!

Ken

42. Thomas says:

Best Wishes

The artwork in Fedora is great. Thank you. 🙂

43. Antti J. Salminen says:

My favourite themer

I love Bluecurve, it was actually pretty much the only thing that made me stay about a year on Red Hat and miss the theme ever since leaving it behind.It’s really the best desktop environment theme I’ve ever seen ( definitely including OS X).Thanks for the unbeliveable work, hope you’ll be doing something as lovely in the future in places that will really bring your work for every GNU/Linux user to fully appreciate. 🙂