Firefox forms (work-in-progress)
Based on Kevin Gerich’s forms work (and others), I have put together something that makes unstyled HTML forms look like Industrial widgets.
At the moment, this doesn’t work with everything, things aren’t pixel perfect, and it is a kludge — but it does mostly work.
Steps to test it out (for the adventurous)
- Download firefox-forms.tar.gz
- Extract the tarball (it will unarchive in a directory called “res”)
- Quit Firefox
- Locate Firefox’s appropriate res directory (“
locate platform-forms.css | grep -i firefox” should do it)
- Make sure you back up your files in case you want to go back
- Copy the files over
- Start Firefox and enjoy!
- Form widgets may not be the right size on some sites that assume Windows forms are being used (and therefor use the default Windows sizes)
- The :not operator doesn’t seem to work multiple times with all three style, id, and class attributes
- Widgets are a little off, but look mostly correct
Feel free to make improvements and share your experiences below.
(Hopefully, eventually, we’ll just get native-looking forms with Firefox on Linux, like there is currently is on Windows…)