Noise

Drunk people at 3 am outside the window, cars constantly booming by, construction crews in the morning, a truck every first Wednesday and Thursday of each non-bitterly-cold-winter month with the recorded voice of a man shouting in the thickest Boston accent anyone has ever heard shouting something about towing cars (if parked on what happens to be the wrong side of the street) from 5:30 am to 9 am, city workers hacking trees to pieces with buzzsaws and big chippers for hours in the early morning, and — now this — some buffoon outside with a jackhammer and some other heavy machinery who has been operating for a long while now even though it’s nearly midnight; these are all things I can hear from my apartment when I am trying to get some sleep.

Constant construction sounds from the building being built next to work sure does not help my headaches that even Tylenol, Aspirin, Sudafed, and caffeine can’t cure.

Why does Cambridge have to be so noisy?

Tags: ,

11 Responses to “Noise”

1. cheridy says:

Dude, where do you live in Cambridge? And are you tied into a lease? You should live on one of the quiet side streets, I highly suggest one of the many one- or two- block streets, or a dead end. The more trees, the quieter, and if you live on an upper floor, you hear less of what’s on the road or going by on the sidewalk. The only sounds I heard today with my windows open were birds, and kids laughing at the park down the street.

Only thing I can suggest for work is one of the many fine brands of noise-canceling headphones on the market. Mine are Bose, and they’re on all day long.

Short term solution for home? http://store.yahoo.com/earplugstore/sleepmate980.html

2. Link says:

The Boston vicinity is also known for its constant state of construction. For example, I’m 23, and Boston has been under construction for as long as I can remember back.
    And chew on this, ever wonder where they store those _huge_ cranes when doing construction projects? (You know the ones I’m talking about; they’re taller than most buildings; they’re probably used to build the buildings.) As we were driving through San Francisco, I posed the quest “where do they keep those big cranes when they’re not using them?” to the passengers of the car. My sister’s response was “Boston.” Get my point? πŸ˜‰

3. Josh says:

Dude.. move to Provo. It’s relatively quiet here once you get used to the trains. πŸ™‚ *hides*

4. Kreg Steppe says:

Dude, have a kid. You will never sleep again no matter where you live.

5. Martey says:

Why does Cambridge have to be so noisy?

Because it’s finally warm outside?

6. Martin says:

I have exactly the same problem in my apartment..

7. Yaknow, I was prepping to make a post of this ilk to my blog. Except not Boston, but my home town. I’ve lived in three different apartments in three different cities so far, and they’ve all been exceptionally noisy. I have determined that having good hearing is simply a curse. I had often wondered if the rest of the nation was like this, and I suppose that it is. Sad. Look on the bright side, the noises of Boston include work and at least some sort of achievement. The noises I get to listen to consist of neighbors doing laundry at one A.M., the constant sound of kids with their rap SUVs booming around in the parking lot every night, the overloud screaming of televisions all around me, everyone and their mother slamming their doors at all hours of existence – and the sound of general laziness. Couple all of this with neighbors who never work, as it seems that Minnesota is the center of unemployment, and you have a lovely situation. Maybe I’m old, maybe I’m tired, or maybe I’m cranky because I got five hours of sleep last night – but I wish people could just shutup. πŸ™

8. Not all of the nation is like this… in several of the places I have lived, it was serenly quiet. It’s all about the city you live in as well as the specific location.

For peace and quiet, I would suggest the following:
    * Pick a rural area
    * Get away from highways and busy streets
    * Stay away from apartment complexes (especially apartment towers)
    * If you’re renting, try to find a house to rent (townhomes can also be good, depending on the location, quality of build, and neighbors)
    * Earmuffs

…Of course, I need to take some of my own advice (earmuffs, rural area, stay away from busy streets). *smile*

9. My parents lived in a rural area, and it was noisier than hell on Earth. The wood chippers, the ATVs, the constant drone of farm machinery in the distance, and the small children ravaging through the woods. Of course, they didn’t live in a “no people for 5 miles” kind of rural; but I don’t think that’s what you’re talking about. πŸ™‚ I hear ya on the no apartment complexes. My next place is going to be a house. No bones about it, I can’t stand living so close to other people anymore. I swear, those same neighbors that I referenced above have not stopped doing laundry in three days. I can’t fathom having that much dirty laundry.

10. Arthur Chan says:

My grandparents live in downtown Manhattan, and their place was pretty quiet. City settings doesn’t necessarily imply noise. Get to know your neighborhood and find a better place.

11. Los Angeles says:

I agree with cheridy. You should find some one or two block streets for living. I had the same problem in my previous apartment, but i found onother one, because i couldn’t conciliate with that anymore. Now i’m happiest person in the world. πŸ™‚